Latest Update: June 24th, 2019
To use Apple Pay or Google Pay at bunq you should order a new Belgian (or an Italian, Spanish, German or French) card. You don’t need to travel to one of the supported countries, since you can order it from your couch in your home country.
If this is the first time that you order an Belgian (Italian, Spanish, French or German) card, you should (temporary) change your address to an Belgian one. Just follow the steps described at ‘Configure an Belgian addresss‘.
NoteIf you live in the Netherlands, it makes sense to use a Belgian address, since the language you see at some payment terminals will be in Dutch (instead of Italian/Spanish/German or French).
If you’re finished with those steps, you can continue with the steps described at ‘Order card‘ to order an Apple Pay or Google Pay enabled bunq card.
If you ordered your card, you can activate it right away by checking the steps at ‘Activate card‘. Nowadays you can activate (and use) your card for Apple Pay or Google Pay just after you ordered it. You don’t have to wait until the physical card is being delivered at your doorstep.
NOTICE : As soon as you ordered your card, please change your address back to your home location.
Consider a DonationIf you have enabled Apple Pay succesfully, please consider a small donation (to cover the web hosting costs) by using this link : https://bunq.me/bunqlove
Configure an Belgian address
They only thing you will need is the bunq Desktop application. This is a community developed (open-source) application with you can use to manage your bunq-business from a desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) kunt beheren. You can download the latest version here.
Just follow the steps below to (just for a few minutes) to ‘move’ to Italy, which makes it possible to order a new Belgian bunq card.
NoteCurrently it can happen that when you are at pressing the Update button at step 2, your Italian address isn’t shown directly. Please check your iPhone to see (close the app on the iPhone first) if the address change was successfully.
- Start the bunq desktop app, log in and click on your picture (top left) to manage your address information.
- Change the Country (on both sides) to BE and edit the Postal Code so there are only four numbers in that field.
Tap on Update to apply the changes.
- Open the bunq app on your phone and check if your address information matches the information you just entered in the bunq desktop app. If that is the case, you can order a new bunq card.
NOTE : Don’t order a replacement card, but a brand new card.
If you ordered a replacement card, you (still) can’t use Apple Pay or Google Pay!
- Before the bunq card is ordered, you will have to confirm the address to which bunq will ship your new card (that should the the one you just updates with the BE info). Click on ‘Yes, ….’ to continue.
- Close the bunq app as soon as you ordered a new card.
NOTICE : The steps below need to be executed right after you ordered your card, otherwise there is a chance that it takes longer then usual before your card gets delivered to your home (or you won’t receive it at all!).
- Go back to the bunq desktop app en click on your picture.
- Change the country (and postal code) back to your current home address (on both sides).
- To activate your card, please follow the instructions behind the Activate card tab.
With a Premium bunq subscription you will receive a maximum of 3 bank cards for free. For every additional card you pay, besided the one-time fee of € 9,00, a monthly fee of € 2,00 (maestro) or € 3,00 (mastercard). If you already have 3 cards activated/in use and ou want to order a new card (to use Apple Pay), you can deactivate one of your current cards before you order a new card..
Just follow the steps below to start with deactivating a card. If you don’t want to deactivate a current card, please start with step 4.
- Open the bunq app and go to your cards.
- Selecter the card you (temporary) want to deactivate and click on Deactivate or block (Deactiveren of blokkeren).
- Tap on Deactivate card (Deactiveer pas (1)). You can activate the card (and use it) again anytime. If you have deactivated the card you cannot use it to pay or to get money from an ATM.
- Swipe to the right in the card screen and tap on Take another card (Neem nog een pas).
- Tap on Order Maestro (Bestel Maestro) or Order MasterCard (Bestel MasterCard). (tap on What’s the difference? (Wat is het verschil?) to read what to pro’s and cons of both cards are).
Maestro: You can pay almost anywhere (at least in the Netherlands) with Apple Pay.
MasterCard (debit or credit) : You can pay at places where you can also use your creditcard (in the Netherlands), in the rest of the world you can pay almost anywhere (when you can pay contact less).
- Just follow the card ordering instructions.
- Change your address back to your home location right after you finished the ordering process (this is the location where bunq will deliver your physical card).
Congratulations, your card is nu suitable to be used with Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Just follow the instructions to enable Apple Pay on your device. Both methods work with the card you just ordered.